March 19 - August 27, 2022
Carpenter Nature Center
12805 St. Croix Trail S
Hastings, MN 55033
St. Croix County, Carpenter Nature Center, and The Friends of Willow River & Kinnickinnic State Parks are partnering to offer the Wisconsin Master Naturalist training. We will meet one Saturday a month March-August throughout the St. Croix Valley. The training will include some classroom time, but will focus mostly on local and regional field experiences to exceptional sites for learning in our topic areas (geology, ecology, plant communities, wildlife, interpretation, water, and human impacts). Many regional experts will be sharing their knowledge, research, tips, and inspiration with us as they lead or present parts of the training.
The Wisconsin Master Naturalist program is a network of well-informed volunteers dedicated to conservation service, leadership, and lifelong learning. The Master Naturalist training provides 40 hours of education in a variety of natural history topics and Master Naturalist service areas. Through expert-led trainings, Master Naturalists are equipped to address challenges facing the state by making positive impacts through stewardship, citizen science, and educational activities. Trainings have an emphasis on outdoor field experiences with some classroom instruction and are taught by professional natural resources educators and scientists. Once trained, Wisconsin Master Naturalists record 40 hours of service and 8 hours of advanced training each year to maintain certification and receive a recognition pin.
March 19: 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
April 16: 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
May 21: 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
June 18: 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
July 16: 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
August 27: 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
To be a certified Master Naturalist, you will be required to:
- Attend regularly. Only four hours of training may be missed.
- Be 18 years old or older.
- Travel in personal vehicles as necessary to reach different learning sites throughout the training.
- Complete a small training project.
** Master Naturalist Trainings are primarily outdoor learning experiences which may include extended periods of standing, hiking on both flat paths and off-trails with inclines, and a variety of weather conditions. If you have questions about the activity level of the training, please contact the program office firstname.lastname@example.org prior to registering.
If you would like to be considered for a scholarship, you must fill out the Master Naturalist scholarship form before registering. The Master Naturalist office will follow up with a special code to be used when you register.
Keeping the health of everyone in our community in mind, we’re approaching our programming with intentional steps. These steps follow CDC, Wisconsin Department of Health Services, and UW–Madison guidance. These requirements are in place to limit the spread of COVID-19.
During our upcoming training:
- We will concentrate our learning outdoors, as much as possible.
- Individuals who are not vaccinated should wear a face covering when indoors.
- In counties where there is substantial or high transmission, it is strongly recommended that all individuals (regardless of vaccination status) wear a mask when indoors.
- Six foot distancing from individuals outside of immediate households is recommended as a way to reduce the risk of transmission.
- Proof of vaccination is not required for participation.
- All individuals are welcome to continue protected practices, such as face coverings and distancing, regardless of vaccination status.
Host sites and field locations may have more stringent requirements. Please follow the guidance that they provide at that time. We recommend bringing a face covering with you each day to be prepared for those situations. Participants should stay at home if they feel ill, show signs of COVID-19, or have been in contact with someone diagnosed with COVID19.
As we continue to move forward, we expect the guidance from the CDC, Wisconsin Department of Health Services, and UW–Madison to evolve and therefore these COVID considerations for Master Naturalist Trainings may change.