The Prairie Enthusiasts (TPE) is hosting a field based course at Mounds View Grasslands, a 530 acre property owned by TPE located south of Blue Mounds. Site includes remnant prairies, prairie plantings, prairie seed production beds, woodlands, streams and wetlands. Our classroom base will be the rustic Shurch-Thomson barn, a working barn for research and prairie restoration. Topics of the course will include geology, soils, plant communities, watersheds, mammals and prairie pollinators. A wealth of guest experts will join us. In addition to exploring our site at Mounds View, we will visit nearby spectacular oak savanna, short grass prairie and Lower Wisconsin River floodplain areas. Come join us and enjoy the gorgeous spring flowers and birds of the prairie (Baptisia , violets blooming, Upland Sandpipers calling, bobolinks setting up territories, northern harriers nesting)!
The Wisconsin Master Naturalist Program is a network of well-informed citizens dedicated to conservation education and service within Wisconsin communities. The Master Naturalist Volunteer Training Course provides 40 hours of coursework in natural history, interpretation, and conservation stewardship. Courses combine classroom instruction with field experiences and are taught by professional natural resources educators and scientists. Once trained, Wisconsin Master Naturalist Volunteers provide 40 hours of service and take 8 hours of advanced training each year to maintain their certification and receive a recognition pin.
Schedule: The class will meet selected weekends from May through June, rain or shine.
The course will run on Saturdays and Sundays: May 4-5, May 18-19, June 1-2, and June 8-9. Class will generally meet from 10am-5pm on Saturdays and 10am-3pm on Sundays. There will be some longer days for a bird outing and field trip days, which will be determined prior to the first day of the course.
Fee: $275 includes all class materials and a one-year membership with the Natural Resources Foundation of Wisconsin. Bring your own lunch.
Location: The Prairie Enthusiasts Schurch-Thomson property, Reilly Road, Blue Mounds, WI 53517
PLEASE NOTE - Course participants that want to be certified Master Naturalist Volunteers will be required to:
- Attend at least 90% of classroom time and all field study.
- Participate in field trips, even in inclement weather.
- Some travel in personal vehicles may be necessary to reach field trip locations.
- Some field trips may involve some moderate activity on uneven terrain. Please consult with the program office (email@example.com) before registering if you have concerns.
- Complete a capstone project during the course.
- Registration deadline is April 24, 2019.
- Class size is limited to 15 participants.
- Course cancellation policies:
- If a registrant cancels his/her registration for this course prior to April 24, 2019, s/he will receive a full refund less a $25 administrative fee. No refund will be made if a registrant cancels after the course deadline (04/24/2019).
- The Wisconsin Master Naturalist Program reserves the right to cancel a course if fewer than 10 people register by the registration deadline. If the program cancels the course, all registrants will receive a full refund.
Register HERE or call (608)262-2451 and ask to register for course #0484