The Lake Superior National Estuarine Research Reserve, located in Superior, Wisconsin, will host its first Wisconsin Master Naturalist Volunteer Training Course in 2019. Join the Reserve staff and regional partners in exploring the St. Louis River Estuary and the Lake Superior coast to gain an understanding of the natural resources that abound in this region. This course will tell the natural and cultural story of the St. Louis River Estuary through topics ranging from aquatic ecology to ornithology, including the impacts of humans on our landscape. Join us in exploring the big woods and big waters of northwestern Wisconsin! The Reserve has a variety of volunteer needs including working with research scientists, educators, or with activities that support land/water management. Come see if one is right for you!
The Wisconsin Master Naturalist Program is a network of well-informed citizens dedicated to conservation education and service within Wisconsin communities. The Master Naturalist Volunteer Training Course provides 40 hours of coursework in natural history, interpretation, and conservation stewardship. Courses combine classroom instruction with field experiences and are taught by professional natural resources educators and scientists. Once trained, Wisconsin Master Naturalist Volunteers provide 40 hours of service and take 8 hours of advanced training each year to maintain their certification and receive a recognition pin.
Wednesday, September 11; 5-8:30 p.m.
Thursday, September 12; 5-8:30 p.m.
Friday, September 13; 5-8:30 p.m.
Saturday, September 14; 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
Wednesday, October 2; 5-8:30 p.m.
Thursday, October 3; 5-8:30 p.m.
Friday, October 4; 5-8:30 p.m.
Saturday, October 5; 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
Sunday, October 6; noon-6 p.m.
Fee: $275 includes all class materials and a one-year membership with the Natural Resources Foundation of Wisconsin.
Scholarships: If you would like to be considered for a scholarship, you must fill out the Master Naturalist scholarship form before registering. The Master Naturalist office will follow up with a special code to be used when you register.
Location: Lake Superior National Estuarine Research Reserve, 3 Marina Drive, Superior, WI 54880
PLEASE NOTE - Course participants that want to be certified Master Naturalist Volunteers will be required to:
- Attend at least 90% of classroom time and all field study.
- Participate in field trips, even in inclement weather.
- Some travel in personal vehicles may be necessary to reach field trip locations.
- Some field trips may involve some moderate activity on uneven terrain. Please consult with the program office (firstname.lastname@example.org) before registering if you have concerns.
- Complete a capstone project during the course.
- Registration deadline is August 30, 2019
- Class size is limited to 20 participants.
- Course cancellation policies:
- If a registrant cancels his/her registration for this course prior to August 30, 2019, s/he will receive a full refund less a $25 administrative fee. No refund will be made if a registrant cancels after the course deadline (08/30/2019).
- The Wisconsin Master Naturalist Program reserves the right to cancel a course if fewer than 10 people register by the registration deadline. If the program cancels the course, all registrants will receive a full refund.
Register HERE or call (608)262-2451 and ask to register for course #0639