University of Wisconsin-Madison Arboretum will offer their second Master Naturalist Volunteer training course in August and September 2018. The course will run on six Thursday evenings with three Saturday field experiences. The course will be primarily at the UW-Madison Arboretum, plus some nearby field trips. There will be an emphasis on ecosystems and water during the volunteer training course. UW-Madison Arboretum has a network of experienced instructors and volunteers who invite you join them to learn more about Wisconsin's natural resources and volunteer opportunities.
The Wisconsin Master Naturalist Program is a network of well-informed citizens dedicated to conservation education and service within Wisconsin communities. The Master Naturalist Volunteer Training Course provides 40 hours of coursework in natural history, interpretation, and conservation stewardship. Courses combine classroom instruction with field experiences and are taught by professional natural resources educators and scientists. Once trained, Wisconsin Master Naturalist Volunteers provide 40 hours of service and take 8 hours of advanced training each year to maintain their certification and receive a recognition pin.
Schedule: Thursday evenings, 5-9 p.m.: August 23, 30, September 6, 13, 20, 27. Saturday full-day field sessions, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.: August 25, September 8 and 29.
Fee: $250 includes all class materials and a one-year membership with the Natural Resources Foundation of Wisconsin.
Location: UW-Madison Arboretum, 1207 Seminole Highway, Madison, WI 53711
PLEASE NOTE - Course participants that want to be certified Master Naturalist Volunteers will be required to:
- Attend at least 90% of classroom time and all field study.
- Participate in field trips, even in inclement weather.
- Some travel in personal vehicles may be necessary to reach field trip locations.
- Some field trips may involve some moderate activity on uneven terrain. Please consult with the program office (firstname.lastname@example.org) before registering if you have concerns.
- Complete a capstone project during the course.
- Registration deadline is August 13, 2018
- Class size is limited to 20 participants.
- Course cancellation policies:
- If a registrant cancels his/her registration for this course prior to August 13, 2018, s/he will receive a full refund less a $25 administrative fee. No refund will be made if a registrant cancels after the course deadline (8/13/18).
- The Wisconsin Master Naturalist Program reserves the right to cancel a course if fewer than 10 people register by the registration deadline. If the Program cancels the course, all registrants will receive a full refund.
Register HERE or call (608)262-2451 and ask to register for course # 0428