The Prairie Enthusiasts (TPE) is hosting a field based course at Mounds View Grasslands, a 530 acre property owned by TPE located south of Blue Mounds. Site includes remnant prairies, prairie plantings, prairie seed production beds, woodlands, streams and wetlands. Our classroom base will be the rustic Shurch-Thomson barn, a working barn for research and prairie restoration. Topics of the course will include geology, soils, plant communities, watersheds, mammals and prairie pollinators. A wealth of guest experts will join us. In addition to exploring our site at Mounds View, we will visit nearby spectacular oak savanna, short grass prairie and Lower Wisconsin River floodplain areas. Come join us and enjoy the gorgeous spring flowers and birds of the prairie (Baptisia , violets blooming, Upland Sandpipers calling, bobolinks setting up territories, northern harriers nesting)!
Learn more about the Wisconsin Master Naturalist Program, a statewide effort to promote awareness, understanding and stewardship of Wisconsin's natural resources. Learn more about the Volunteer Training Course requirements.
Schedule: The class will meet every-other-weekend, rain or shine. Class dates include Memorial Day weekend and Mother’s Day. Exact dates:
Saturday, May 13, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
Sunday, May 14, 11 a.m.-4 p.m.
Saturday, May 27, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
Sunday, May 28, 11 a.m.-4 p.m.
Saturday, June 10, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
Sunday, June 11, 11 a.m.-4 p.m.
Saturday, June 24, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
Sunday, June 25, 11 a.m.-4 p.m.
Additional opportunities/ potential class makeup times:
1) Spring 5-mile Hike, exact date TBD: Blue Mounds Area Project (BMAP), rugged terrain, geology focus, public and TPE lands near Blue Mounds. Led by Ken Wade and Pat Trochlell .
2) TPE Bumblebee Workshop June 18, 9-11am with Susan Carpenter and Christy Steward, in field, TPE property. Learn to ID 3-4 species, including one Endangered, their life cycle and habitats.
Fee: $250 includes all class materials and a one-year membership with the Natural Resources Foundation of Wisconsin. Bring your own lunch.
Location: The Prairie Enthusiasts Schurch-Thomson property, Reilly Road, Blue Mounds, WI 53517
PLEASE NOTE - Course participants that want to be certified Master Naturalist Volunteers will be required to:
- Attend at least 90% of classroom time and all field study.
- Participate in field trips, even in inclement weather.
- Some travel in personal vehicles may be necessary to reach field trip locations.
- Some field trips may involve some moderate activity on uneven terrain. Please consult with the program office (email@example.com) before registering if you have concerns.
- Complete a capstone project during the course.
- Registration deadline is May 5, 2017.
- Class size is limited to 15 participants.
- Course cancellation policies:
- If a registrant cancels his/her registration for this course prior to May 5, 2017, s/he will receive a full refund less a $25 administrative fee. No refund will be made if a registrant cancels after the course deadline (5/05/17).
- The Wisconsin Master Naturalist Program reserves the right to cancel a course if fewer than 10 people register by the registration deadline. If the program cancels the course, all registrants will receive a full refund.