The Ho-Chunk Nation will be hosting the Master Naturalist Volunteer Training course in Black River Falls. This course will have an emphasis on the Western Wisconsin region including Black River Watershed, Black River State Forest, Mississippi River Watershed and local cranberry bogs. These areas are Ho-Chunk ancestral homelands and the course will be taught through the Ho-Chunk worldviews with guest Andrew Thundercloud, Ho-Chunk elder and language teacher, providing content on Ho-Chunk culture and language.
The Wisconsin Master Naturalist Program is a network of well-informed citizens dedicated to conservation education and service within Wisconsin communities. The Master Naturalist Volunteer Training Course provides 40 hours of coursework in natural history, interpretation, and conservation stewardship. Courses combine classroom instruction with field experiences and are taught by professional natural resources educators and scientists. Once trained, Wisconsin Master Naturalist Volunteers provide 40 hours of service and take 8 hours of advanced training each year to maintain their certification and receive a recognition pin.
Schedule: This course will run weekly on Wednesday evenings beginning Sept. 12 and ending Nov. 7, 2018 (no class on Oct. 31). Food will be available during the evening classes (potluck style). Two mandatory Saturday field sessions will take place Sept. 22 and Oct. 27.
- Wednesday, September 12: 5:30-8:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, September 19: 5:30-8:30 p.m.
- Saturday, September 22: 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Wednesday, September 26: 5:30-8:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, October 3: 5:30-8:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, October 10: 5:30-8:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, October 17: 5:30-8:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, October 24: 5:30-8:30 p.m.
- Saturday, October 27: 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Wednesday, November 7: 5:30-8:30 p.m.
Fee: $250 includes all class materials and a one-year membership with the Natural Resources Foundation of Wisconsin.
Scholarships: If you would like to be considered for a scholarship, you must fill out the Master Naturalist scholarship form before registering. The Master Naturalist office will follow up with a special code to be used when you register.
Location: District 1 Community Center, N7160 Low Cloud Road, Black River Falls, Wisconsin 54615
PLEASE NOTE - Course participants that want to be certified Master Naturalist Volunteers will be required to:
- Attend at least 90% of classroom time and all field study.
- Participate in field trips, even in inclement weather.
- Some travel in personal vehicles may be necessary to reach field trip locations.
- Some field trips may involve some moderate activity on uneven terrain. Please consult with the program office (firstname.lastname@example.org) before registering if you have concerns.
- Complete a capstone project during the course.
- Registration deadline is August 29, 2018
- Class size is limited to 15 participants.
- Course cancellation policies:
- If a registrant cancels his/her registration for this course prior to August 29, 2018, s/he will receive a full refund less a $25 administrative fee. No refund will be made if a registrant cancels after the course deadline (08/29/2018).
- The Wisconsin Master Naturalist Program reserves the right to cancel a course if fewer than 10 people register by the registration deadline. If the program cancels the course, all registrants will receive a full refund.
- Register HERE or call (608)262-2451 and ask to register for course #0461